I have been on a fitness craze recently. I love dancing (with xbox kinect, Dance central and Just Dance) and P90x with my brother. I can work out for about 5.5 hours straight and still have energy for MORE! I am addicted. So saying all of this, I need to consume protein to help build my ‘muscles’ I haven’t yet because I dislike the taste of protein powders…
I went online and did some research for protein bars, i took the ingredients and made my own insane recipe. Its insane, because it doesn’t taste like some health food bland blah! It tastes REALLY GOOD!
- 3 tablespoon of chia seed, soaked in water (yield about half a cup)
- 8 table
- spoon of chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon of whole brown flax seed
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds (toasted with NO oil)
- 1/8 cup of cacao nibs (for the yummi chocolatey flavour – I vitamixed so it has a thinner consistency
- 2 table spoon of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 small lindt dark chocolate 90% bar
- 3 tablespoon of hemp hearts
- 8 table spoon of grounded flax (moisture absorber)
- 2 scoops of protein powder (I used pea protein)
- Combine all the wetish ingredients in a large large bowl: peanut butter, soaked chia seed
- Add the dry ingredients: whole flax seed, cacao nibs, shredded coconut, almonds, hemp hearts, and protein powder
- Leave in the fridge for a coupole of hours (… i have found since adding the whole flax seeds it somehow produced its own flax seed oil, so its a bit oily)
- Remove from the fridge and add grounded flaxseed 2 table spoons at a time until its a non sticky, non oily, non gooey, non liquidly consistency
- Roll them into balls, mine are about 1.5 inches in diameter.
- And coat them with hemp seeds.
And here they are!
Nutritional info to come…